On September 16, 1935 ICI (NZ) was incorporated and began a long manufacturing history that continues today throughout the country.
Orica has a number of major manufacturing sites in NZ, including chemical plants in Timaru and Mt Maunganui. These sites celebrated the significant milestone with morning teas and anniversary cake.
The journey so far - highlights from 1935 to 2010
1935 (25th July) A company called "Chemical Industries (New Zealand) Limited" was incorporated with a capital of £100. The company was formed as an interim measure to secure the name "Chemical Industries". The word "Imperial" couldn't be used until the consent of the Governor General in Council had been obtained.
1935 (16th Sept) A new company "Imperial Chemicals Industries (NZ) Limited" was incorporated but did not commence trading.
1937 A branch of Brunner Mond & Co (Asia) Pty Ltd was opened in NZ to handle chemicals and dyestuffs.
1940 ICI (NZ) took over the NZ operations of Brunner Mond & Co (Asia) and commenced trading from 1st October. The business of Dyes & Chemicals Ltd was acquired.
1941 ICI (NZ) acquired the NZ Explosives Agency of Nobel (Asia) Pty Ltd previously handled by Campbell Traders (NZ) Ltd whose Auckland Office in Quay St became the Auckland branch of ICI (NZ).
1949 South Island area office established in Christchurch.
1951 Wellington area office established. Production of agricultural chemicals commenced at Gracefield.
1958 Gracefield factory destroyed by fire on 14th February. Waitawa Explosive Reserve occupied.
1960 Wellington storage facilities and chemical formulating plants transferred to new premises at Seaview.
1965 ICI (NZ) Ltd became a publicly listed company
1989 ICI (Australia) bought out remaining 26% share of ICI (NZ) and ICI (NZ) ltd was delisted from the NZ stock exchange.
1995 ICI (NZ) Ltd acquired CCL Group of Companies from Burns Philp & Co Ltd. The Group comprised: Chemical Cleaning Ltd, supplying chemicals and cleaning solutions and services to the dairy, pulp and paper, food processing and soap manufacturing industries; and Fluid Transport Services Ltd, a bulk-liquid road transport company.
1996 Chemical Cleaning opened its new bulk storage facility at Timaru for receiving bulk chemicals by ship and storing and mixing chemicals.
1998 ICI (NZ) Ltd acquired Supply Services Ltd. Supply Services Ltd imported and distributed bulk dry chemicals for supply to the pulp and paper, soap, and industrial markets.
1998 (2nd February) ICI (NZ) Ltd became Orica NZ Ltd (as a result of the ICI plc sell down. In July 1997 ICI Australia was required to change its name)
2000 Orica NZ won a contract to pack and distribute hydrogen peroxide for Degussa Peroxide NZ (now Evonik).
2002 Orica NZ acquired Fernz Specialty Chemicals. Fernz Specialty Chemicals distributed a wide range of chemicals in Australia and NZ including healthcare, foodstuffs, polymers, pulp and paper, water and waste water.
2004 Orica acquired Bronson & Jacobs Ltd, a distributor of food products and additives into the pharmaceutical, food and cosmetics industries.
2008 Orica NZ (Ltd) is appointed the exclusive macro- distributor for the Shell lubricants business in NZ.
2010 (12th July) Orica demerged Dulux Group.